Monday, June 11, 2018

School is out! My first Boise Parade of Homes adventure in Boise at an early age.



This week has been a week to celebrate in the eyes of my children.  The last day of school was out here in the West Ada County School District previously known as the Meridian School District.  Please don’t get me wrong, my kids love to learn and they really do love school but they also like summer vacation too.  I still remember when I was growing up, how I looked forward to school being released as well.

Summer time is a great time for youth to recharge their batteries, go swimming, and have fun with their friends.  It is also a great time to get those summer jobs, and learn how to work.  I still remember when I was about 10 years old I got the bright idea that I was going to sell ice cold drinks during the Boise Parade of Homes.  A friend and I got permission, to setup shop in front of a house where our family business Capell Flooring and Interiors, did the flooring, carpet.  We setup up a stand on a Saturday during the parade with the idea of selling ice cold soda pop to people coming and going to this particular house.  It was hot outside, and we purchased the drinks really inexpensively at Costco to sell them to people.  For one of my early entrepreneurial adventures, I learned something really quickly.  You can eat or in this case drink the profits.  Because it was so hot, and we being young and not planning ahead, we forgot to bring lunch and food with us.  We had an ample supply of all different types of soda pop, so we drank those.  It was fun learning experience, but it shows that planning ahead always helps.  End result, we sold a lot of drinks to the Parade of Homes crowd, but we broke even just barely from drinking our profits……

I realized pretty early on that you have to cover your bases when having a business adventure whether it is small or large.  For kids, we definitely did a little better than the typical “lemonade stands” you see everywhere, but we just hadn’t thought it through all the way to bring water and food for 6 hours for ourselves.   Here at Capell Flooring and Interiors, we make little mistakes sometimes too, but we try really hard to make each and every experience a memorable one for all of you, and we appreciate you trusting and working with us over these past 40 + years.
 
Your friend,

Matt Capell

P.S.  If you have a fun entrepreneurial story from your youth I would love to hear it too.  Please share with us via email to sales@capellinteriors.com or share in the comment section below.  Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment