Friday, March 9, 2018

Tomato Garden Tip



So what exactly do tomatoes have to do with flooring?  Besides tomatoes being something that stains carpet from time to time (talk to us about our carpet cleaner if that is happening to you) they really don’t have much to do with flooring.  That being said this blog isn’t about flooring, because we also like to tackle life topics, home, and fun things that will be useful to our customers and readers.  I came across this gardening tip on accident and wanted to share -- especially if you like to garden like I do.
            Several years back here in the Treasure Valley, we had an early winter frost, and it killed all of my tomatoes that I hadn’t picked yet.  I was bummed about it of course, and waiting a couple of weeks before deciding that I needed to take care of the plants and green tomatoes that were still hanging there in my now defunct garden.  I’m not sure why, but I decided to dig a large hole, and bury all the left over tomatoes, because I figured they would decompose over the winter months in the ground, and then I wouldn’t have such a mess in my garbage can.  I didn’t give it much thought after that until spring rolled around the following year…..

            We had an epidemic of a certain new weed that sprung up where I had buried those tomatoes.  Okay, not really, but it was amazing.  Tomato plants started emerging all over, and the best part of it, and why I’m giving this tip, is that somehow they only started to come up after the last frost in the spring.  I’ve done this now since 2005, always rotating the spot where I bury the tomatoes, and they come up every year in full force at just the right time.  I have not done a lot of research on this, but I promise you it works, or at least it does in Meridian, Idaho, in two separate houses where I have lived.  If you want to give this a try feel to give me a call for this or any flooring needs at (208) 288-0151.  I’m always willing to help.  Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment